Wednesday, March 2, 2016

First Weeks Back in Canada

Reverse culture shock is real.  You know the weirdest thing?  Carpet under my bare feet instead of cool tile felt oh so strange!  And everything was so QUIET; we felt so disconnected from the rest of the world with the windows all shut tight against the cold.  But overall, the first few days were a little euphoric, finding our old comforts all over again.

The first fire


This sweet boy woke me up one morning to ask if I would prefer tea or coffee in bed.  Melted my heart!


I had also missed the piano a little while we were away.  When we are here, I rarely sit down and play, but I had more time in Cozumel with our simple lifestyle, and it would have been a perfect time to practice!

After 6 weeks of sharing a small house with only the clutter we had brought in our suitcases, I went a little crazy moving things around and purging unnecessary belongings (it's ongoing, actually - anybody want a set of used shutter closet doors??).  We even switched the kids' bedrooms so that the boys now share the bigger bedroom with the balconey, and Kia gets the cozier bedroom closer to Mom and Dad's room.  


And then, of course, we all got sick.  All five of us at one time, sick with a nasty virus plus throat infections that entailed antibiotics and had us down and out for three solid weeks.  I was prescribed an easy 3-day round of tablets taken once a day, but the kids got the old Amoxicillin treatment - sticky sweet liquid three times a day, for ten stinking days.  


Welcome back, huh?