Monday, November 3, 2014

The Conference

Tuesday through Thursday of our conference last week were full days of learning and networking with other M-Files partners. 


Sitting still for hours at a time became literally a painful experience!  My back seized up like crazy from too much sitting until I could only just stand still for a few minutes or else lay down flat on the floor at the back of the room.  Awkward!  Though by the end of the last day, there were a few people joining me at the back of the room.

For the attention span factor, I took oodles of notes to engage my kinesthetic memory, tried to participate in discussions and occasionally snuck in a peek at my ipad under the table, since my mom and our kids sent me several photos and messages every day.

Amazing Ceiling Feature in the Conference Room
And they sure did feed us well!  Every day started with a buffet breakfast featuring everything from grits, gravy and bacon to fresh fruit, smoked salmon and made to order omelets.



Every time there was a coffee break, there was a variety of snacks and beverages to choose from. One day there were hot fresh pretzels and veggies with hummus or house-made mustard.  Another day there were delectable cheese platters and seedy crackers.  

Lunch time was another buffet, and supper was an event held elsewhere including live, local music.  J and I usually left early in the evening once official business was completed and we'd made an appearance, but before the cigar smoke got too heavy and the party atmosphere heated up. The difference between those who went back to the hotel early and those who stayed to party was most notable when sessions started at 9 a.m. each morning!

Sessions ended at lunch time on Thursday, and J and I had the next 24 hours to spend by ourselves in New Orleans. The next post is about our free time!