Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Onion Sauce!


The other night we woke to the sound of Rz's persistent, mucousy nighttime cough.  Finally I got up and made a dilution of R.C. (an essential oil blend from Young Living*) in hemp oil, and rubbed the bottoms of his feet, his back and chest with it.  He cried that he didn't like the smell, but within a minute he was fast asleep til morning.  

When I couldn't fall back to sleep, I thought we might get a head start on the next coughing fit.  My Aunty Sandra once made a concoction of raw onions and honey to dose my sick little brother and it had worked well as a decongestant.  So I chopped up half a small yellow onion and mixed it with about half a cup of honey. Then added the juice from a lemon and quite a bit of ground cinnamon, since they also have decongestant properties.  

Sure enough, Rz didn't cough again all night, so I dosed him in the morning anyway.  He didn't seem to mind, so we'll give him as much as he'll take this evening before bed and hopefully head off the nighttime cough.

*The R.C. essential oil blend is a mixture of three kinds of eucalyptus, myrtle, pine, marjoram, lavender, cypress and peppermint.  When we finish off this bottle, I'll be blending my own since I've since my Aunty Janice introduced me to a much less expensive source of high quality individual oils. (So nice to have such an array of wise Aunties to access!)