Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Works in Progress

Cuz it wouldn't be fair to only share successful, finished projects, right?


I've heard good things about Hard White Wheat, that it's lighter in color and texture than regular wheat, so I went down to Barb's Kitchen Center and bought a smallish bag of grain to grind.  The recipe was just a simple honey whole wheat bread with sunflower seeds. You can see the raised loaf going into the oven on the pizza stone, in the shape of a cottage loaf.  

Multitasking means that my sense of smell is often what alerts me that something is ready to come out of the oven.  Well, that particular day someone shut off the oven without realizing bread was baking.  Therefore, no delightful scent of hot, finished goodness reminded me that bread was supposed to be coming out of the oven!  Next morning, when I opened the oven to put something in, I discovered a very flat, dense loaf of whole wheat bread.  Perhaps even flatter than what I had put into the oven!  

It had cooked very slowly with the residual heat of the preheated, hot pizza stone but the result was less than stellar.  I ate a small piece, but the texture was not that appetizing and the taste was very strong.  I handed Ry a piece to try and he chewed a small bite slowly and thoughtfully before handing it back to me with a strange look on his face.  "No thanks, Mom."  And so our first loaf of White Whole Wheat Bread became...compost.

A few days later though, we tried mixing this flour with store-bought white flour for pizza crust.  Thumbs up all around.  So we will try again, perhaps sifting out some of the bran first.  

Tops and Pants
I'm intrigued by Courtney Carver's Project 333.  I've mulled it over in my mind and with my mom and sister, and we all agreed it seemed a little extreme, perhaps.  And yet, the allure of simplifying remains.   (Did you read THIS?). So the other day, I relegated all remaining summer clothes to a laundry basket in the closet and took stock of my inventory.  

Dresses and Skirts
(Who knew that delaying taking down the curtain rods would prove so useful?)

Accessories
Including chosen accessories, and everything you see above, my total was coincidentally 33!  I did not include footwear, undies, pajamas, workout clothes or outer coats in this total.  And I was pretty proud of myself.  Until I realized that most of my casual clothes are presently in the laundry queue.  

And then I felt sheepish.  What percentage of the world's population would be flabbergasted at the extravagance of even what you see above?  The sifting and mulling continue.  


This month we took out our drafty fireplace to replace it with an efficient wood burning stove.  In the photo above, you see Ry hard at work breaking off some of the decorative brick to make space for the insert.  (Yes, I know he should have been wearing protective eye wear.  Parenting Fail.)


The wood stove was professionally installed but before we can use it, we need to install a wide strip of tile flooring in front of the opening to bring it up to safety code.  Difficult to keep up with all these pressing little projects.  The cold and snow are likely not far off, so J made it a priority to hire a big cube van and he and a buddy took most of a day pulling out logs from the wooded lot at J's dad's farm.  At least we'll have our wood supply ready to go when the tile goes in.  Thankfully, we've had beautiful fall weather so far this October.  

And that's what we've been up to around these parts.  How about you?