Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Nectarine Jamming

Last night the nectarines were ready, there was no more procrastinating.  I decided on jam despite the required sugar, because every kitchen needs SOME jam, right?  



The 3 musketeers and I cut each nectarine in half and pulled out the pit, stem and sticky label.

A Lot of Silliness, But the Job Got Done

I am short on very large containers, so I did the jam in about four batches.  I didn't find a recipe for what I had to work with, so I grated up green and yellow zucchinis and stirred them into the nectarines I had pulsed in the blender.  Then I mixed honey, sugar, lemon juice and cornstarch in the blender too.  Added some cinnamon and nutmeg to taste, and cooked it til it was darker and quite thick.


The final mixture, ready for canning.  I finally took my primary fermenter from the wine room so I could mix all four batches together.

Kia helped me funnel the jam into wide mouthed glass jars.  We carefully wiped off the rims of each jar and put on lids.  

Hot water bath for the lidded jars.


Finally pulled the final jar out of the canner about 11 p.m.  Just over 20 quarts to go down into the cold room.  Looking forward to eating this on sourdough toast!