Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Family Chores

At our house, everybody helps with tidying and household jobs according to ability, and I'm learning to break chores down into smaller chunks to avoid that glazed over, panicked look they get otherwise!  

With both older kids, they sometimes take turns helping me clean the kitchen after a meal.  We use a laminated sheet of numbered steps starting with Unload the dishwasher and ending with Put the broom and dustpan back in the closet.  



Ry can actually handle quite a few jobs independently.  He is able to go out and pick up the yard and get it mowed all on his own.  He carries baskets of laundry up and down the stairs for me and moves things between the washer and dryer.  He can even clean out the van and vacuum it out, though that's certainly not his favorite activity.   

Rz likes to wipe and polish alongside me.  He can put toys back in their box when prompted, and sort the cutlery basket of the dishwasher into (mostly!) the right slots in the drawer.  He tries hard to help fold small towels, and enjoys helping to vacuum.

I insist on help around the house though as every parent knows, it would be easier to just do it yourself, especially when the troops are grumbling!  Eventually sharing the housework load will make my life easier, but I'm determined that each of my children will know how to take good care of their own home and be able to enjoy working hard.  Things I wish I had applied myself to earlier in life!