Wednesday, April 9, 2014

DIY Natural Wood Polish


I tried making my own beeswax furniture polish before but I could never find a recipe that didn't use something like stinky turpentine to liquefy the wax.  I recently read a great book called The Zero Waste Home by Bea Johnson and was inspired to create the following recipe.  For the beeswax, I used crumbled old candlesticks from a project that didn't work out and just removed the wicks first.

Beeswax Balm
1 part grated beeswax
4 parts almond oil
Orange essential oil (or your own preference)

Melt the beeswax in a canning jar set into a pan of simmering water, stirring gently.  Add the almond oil and keep stirring until there are no visible flakes or bits of wax remaining.  Remove from heat and add your preferred amount of essential oil to scent.  Cool and put a lid on it!

Hint: pour a bit into an empty lip balm container and cool.  It's lovely and soft on the lips.

I used a soft old tee shirt rag to rub the balm into my wood furniture.  Way nicer than that old turpentine smell!