Monday, March 24, 2014

Getting Healthy


I'm about one week in to my new healthy eating routines.  I try to start every day with fresh juiced fruits, herbs and veg.  I'm taking coconut oil and some cleansing supplements too.  Lunch and snacks are raw produce, nuts and seeds.  Then supper is mostly grilled or baked meat and more veggies, raw or cooked.  I'm trying to minimize simple carbs, without cutting them completely so I don't crave them.
So far, pretty good.  Trying to be conscious of how I feel when I do choose something less healthy.  On Saturday morning, everyone else having a Tim's Fruit Explosion muffin suddenly seemed like a good idea for me too, even though I hadn't wanted one prior.  So I savoured it slowly, discovering that the muffin part was kind of bland and not very satisfying.  The jammy, fruity center was really the only part I enjoyed.  Could a piece of fruit tasted as good or better?  Probably.  Lesson learned?  
A couple times Kia has said in a sing-song kind of voice, "Mommy's on a Di-et!"  I've turned on her and reminded her that everyone is on A Diet, it just means the way you choose to eat.  I don't know why it bothers me so much.  I guess I hate admitting I do need to lose some weight since I've had Rz.  More specifically, I haven't adjusted my food intake since stopping breast feeding last fall.  Feels better not to talk about it!  
I've been totally raw vegan for months at a time in the past few years.  There were definitely benefits but ultimately I ended up more unhealthy.  I hope to continue my current way of eating indefinitely.  The difference is I'm not cutting out meat this time.  My body seems to need it to stay strong.  Especially salmon and good quality beef.  I'll reevaluate in a month or so.